November 20, 2008

Soup

I have a high-tolerance for consuming soup, love it, but I'm very picky about the type of soup. I don't go in for brothy soups, or cream-based soups, or any soup that has absolutely no bite-profile (eg. tomato soup) with the exception of split-pea. So when I find a soup recipe that I like, I make it to death (ask Mike how many times he's had the 3-bean soup listed below). Speaking of which, I just made the 3-bean soup listed below.

The beauty of this soup is that you can make it all year round, substituting fresh ingredients for canned, depending on the time of year. There really isn't any "adventure" in this recipe, but it's filling, good and good for you.


Three-Bean Soup

2 cups water (or broth for even more flavoring)
1 can Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
1 can Kidney Beans, rinsed
1 can Cannelini/White Beans, rinsed
1 can diced or whole tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes if the season is right
1 medium onion
lots of veggies (I use carrots and zucchinni, because our garden runneth over)
Italian seasonings + salt + pepper, to taste (I also sometimes use the canned diced tomatoes that are pre-seasoned).

With a little olive oil in the bottom of the pot, saute the onions and veggies. Add 2 cups water and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add the beans. Heat, and eat.
Since I'm also a big fan of carbs, I pair this with bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.
It's fast, it's easy, it's good. And again, it's fast. And good.


And while we're on the subject of soup, I went to Yetti's last night for a cup of soup (best in town), where I met a friend of hers who makes soup for a place in town (for free, because he just likes making soup), and he encouraged me to try my chicken soup recipe again, but to boil the chicken for 4 hours instead of 1.5, and even roast the chicken beforehand to bring out the sugar in the bones. If I can bring myself to dissect another chicken carcass, I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...