August 31, 2012
Wiksten Tova: Just One Yard
I had a yard of fuschia cotton fabric in my stash for months. I found it in the remnant bin at Bolt when I first started sewing and I was still using the One-Yard Wonder books. Soon after I bought the fabric I progressed to more complex books/patterns, and realized that it's hard to make an item of clothing that I would want to wear out of just one yard of fabric.
Fresh off the success of my Wiksten Tova (short sleeves), I realized that with a little creative pattern cutting and skipping the sleeves (which I had trouble with anyway) I could just squeeze a sleeveless version out of one yard.
As you can see, I skipped the standard collar, but this wasn't because there wasn't enough fabric. This was because I apparently cut the pieces too short (how?) and they wouldn't fit around the opening. Instead I had to use the pieces to create bias tape (though not cut on the bias) and finish the neck opening that way. For the armholes I zig-zag stitched around the opening and then folded it over once and topstitched around the opening.
I took the pattern in a little bit around my bust because I thought the first one was a little loose. I think it was a mistake because this feels a little too tight now. I'm also still having some trouble with the gathers around the front piece at the corners. I'm going to try and remedy that in the next version.
It's a happy color. And I'm happy because there's a little more space in my fabric bin; which I can go fill up again now that I've just discovered the wonders of Rose City Textiles.